Whether you’re racing the Grand Traverse to achieve a personal goal, or just to have an enjoyable adventure on your journey to Aspen, proper preparation is essential. To help get you there, we offer group clinics with 2018 & 2019 GT Ski Champion & National Skimo Team Member- Cam Smith
Full Day Group Clinics
These full day sessions are designed as an intro to all things GT. Learn proper technique and skills from the ground up. Ideal for the first time racer looking to prepare themselves for a successful race to Aspen.
2 Group Clinics Available
- January 11, 2020 Group Clinic
- February 15, 2020 Group Clinic
Group Clinic Cost
Group Clinic Schedule
Each group clinic includes a 3 hour morning session, an hour lunch break, and a 2 hour afternoon session. Clinics will take place primarily on Crested Butte Nordic trails which offers perfect terrain to work on Grand Traverse specific skimo technique.Sign Up
These group training sessions are tailored for racers looking to optimize performance in key areas. Areas of focus include:
A. Skinning Technique
- Proper body positioning
- Efficient glide on flats
- Keeping grip and smooth cadence on steep slopes
- Proper poling technique
- Technical skinning
- Mechanics of a kickturn
- Kickturns on a variety of terrain
- Skinning to skiing transitions
- Skiing to skinning transitions
- Basics of skate skiing technique
- Variations of skating for unique terrain challenges
- Skate skiing on skimo gear
D. Gear Management
- Demonstrations and discussion on gear options for the Grand Traverse.
- Recommendations for mandatory gear. Choosing the right skis, skins, and other critical equipment.
- How to pack a GT pack
About Your Instructor
Born and raised in Illinois, Cam is not your average skimo racer. With a midwest-driven yearn for snow he gets after it on two planks more days of the year than not. With a background in both Nordic and Skimo disciplines, Cam strongly believes in the power that technique plays in a successful GT. Also included in Cam’s outdoor resume is a spot on the U.S. Ski Mountaineering Team and six Skimo National Championships. His love of frozen water did not stop him from his academic pursuits of Exercise and Sport Science at Western State Colorado University. He also had a little extra time to add minors in Sport Psychology and Outdoor Education. All of these things combine to make Cam one of the most well rounded bachelors in the valley.