Whether you’re racing the Grand Traverse to achieve a personal goal, or just to have an enjoyable adventure on your journey to Aspen, proper preparation is essential. To help get you there, we offer group clinics and personal coaching with 2018 GT Ski Champion & National Skimo Team Member- Cam Smith
Full Day Group Clinics
These full day sessions are designed as an intro to all things GT. Learn proper technique and skills from the ground up. Ideal for the first time racer looking to prepare themselves for a successful race to Aspen.
3 Group Clinics Available
- December 29th Group Clinic
- January 20th Group Clinic
- February 17th Group Clinic
Group Clinic Cost
Group Clinic Schedule
Each group clinic includes a 3 hour morning session, an hour lunch break, and a 2 hour afternoon session. Clinics will take place primarily on Crested Butte Nordic trails which offers perfect terrain to work on Grand Traverse specific skimo technique.
2 Hour Personal Coaching Sessions
These personalized training sessions are tailored for racers looking to optimize performance in key areas. Sessions are two hours long and focused on the unique needs of an individual or team. Ideal for racers looking to improve specific skills for the GT. Possible areas of focus include:
A. Skinning Technique
- Proper body positioning
- Efficient glide on flats
- Keeping grip and smooth cadence on steep slopes
- Proper poling technique
- Technical skinning
- Mechanics of a kickturn
- Kickturns on a variety of terrain
- Skinning to skiing transitions
- Skiing to skinning transitions
- Bootpack transitions
- Basics of skate skiing technique
- Variations of skating for unique terrain challenges
- Skate skiing on skimo gear
D. Gear Management
- Demonstrations and discussion on gear options for the Grand Traverse.
- Recommendations for mandatory gear. Choosing the right skis, skins, and other critical equipment.
- How to pack a GT pack
E. Training Ski
- Go out for a training ski on terrain that simulates demands of the GT.
- While skiing there will be opportunity for skills feedback and conversation related to the race.
Personal Coaching Cost
Personal Coaching Availability
Personal coaching sessions are available from 6 a.m. to noon on Sundays.